Powered By Blogger

Thursday 17 March 2011

WE ARE NOT CALLED TO BLEND IN WITH THE WORLD

Matthew 5:13
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men."

My dear mother of blessed memories used to say, cooking is an art. I am of the believe you can spot a woman who cooks with her heart and soul by just taking a glance at her kitchen. My friends call me a control freak because, I literally arrange everything in my kitchen from my spices, seasonings, to everything in my refrigerator. I know what you are thinking, just can't help myself. I just need to have everything in the right order and in a straight line. The one thing I am also very good at is making simple, tasty and delicious meals or snacks out of nothing. I love natural flavours in my food and a little bit of seasonin but not too much to over power the natural flavours.

I am not a great fun of  Indian cuisine because I think it has too many seasoning and spices. Making it almost impossible for me to taste the natural flavouring of the food. We all know what certain dishes should taste like and how they should look like.  And also know what certain spices and seasonings should taste like. Now if I go into a restaurant and order two steaks, one black pepper steak and a plain steak.  I expect them both to taste different from the other. And if it doens't, it's of no value to me and not worth paying the extra money for.

As Christians we are like seasoning and spices. If a seasoning has no flavour, it has no value. This is means if our lives as Christians isn't impacting the world we live in and making a difference in a positive way, then we are of very little value to God. We are not called to blend in with the world; instead we are called to be the salt of the earth adding flavour and bringing out it's distinct taste. By affecting the lives of others with God's love, compassion and grace just as seasoning brings out the best flavour in food.

Reflections:
Is your life just like your unbelieving friends and family? If we are too much like the world, we are worthless!

Power verses:
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."--John 18:12

Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you."-- Luke 11:36

No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house-- Matthew 5:15

2011 By Enyonam Gbekle. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment