Powered By Blogger

Monday 16 May 2011

GOD CREATED US FOR RELATIONSHIPS

John 15:15
"....I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."


Friendships are not easy to build. Time is limited with lives that keep us so busy. But in this age of technology, it’s important to evaluate things in our lives that create a false sense of connection like email, television, text messaging and overboard activities. Although these things are okay in moderation, they can't substitute real-life connections. We have to intentionally carve out time for friends that are in close proximity. Times where we can share what's going on in our lives and, like the scripture says, encourage one another with what God is teaching us. Long-distance friendships are precious to me, but I also need friends close by. I have learned that there's just something in my heart that is filled when I connect with a friend in person.

God created us for relationships where we can see each other, hug each other and talk to each other face-to-face. Jesus knew this need, as well. He encircled Himself with intimate friends – first His Father, then His close friends John, Peter and James and then the other nine disciples. He also had friends like Mary, Martha and Lazarus that He spent time with sharing what He was learning from His Father, laughing and having a meal together. He modeled for us the picture and the power of connecting with friends.

Reflections:
Today I want you to ask yourself, what are some of my biggest obstacles in developing real friendships?

Power verses:
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10---"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?--Ecclesiastes 4:11

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.-- Ecclesiastes 4:12

2011 By Enyonam Gbekle. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. "Ye are my friends is ye practise whatever I command you"; if we do what the Lord says we will enjoy friendship with Him more.

    ReplyDelete