Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 3 May 2011

WHAT MAKES YOUR HEART UNCLEAN?

Mark 7:15
Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.'"


The dictionary describes arrogance as "an offensive display of superiority or self-importance; or overbearing pride." At first glance, we may think that doesn’t apply to us. But if we let the Holy Spirit shine His search light on our heart, we may find times when we have thought,  well at least I'm not that bad, or it's amazing how her life turned out as good as it did.

Envy is pretty sly at hiding in our hearts as well. It is the feeling of discontent with regards to another’s advantages, success or possessions. Does your friend have a new car, a new business, or a nicer home? And does that make you look at him or her or at your possessions with disdain? If so, that's envy - Ouch!

Then there is greed, the excessive desire for wealth or possessions. Maybe we don’t think we are excessive in our desire for things, but how much time do we spend trying to make more money? How stingy are we with what we have? Compared to what most people have, we live in abundance, and yet we seem to have one eye forever focused on getting more.

What would it look like to take those three definitions and clean them up?
• Un-arrogance – a gracious display of selflessness
• Un-envy – being completely content with all of my blessings
• Un-greed – an excessive desire for God and His righteousness

That sounds like a clean heart to me! So today I challenge myself with the words Jesus spoke, "It is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Today, I will set my mind to being un-arrogant, un-envious and un-greedy. Yes, today I want to live with a clean heart and I want to encourage each and every one of you too to live with a heart clean from envy, bitterness, greed, arrogance and discontent.


Reflections:
Matthew 15:8--"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."
What are your thoughts?

Power verses:
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.--Matthew 5:8

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.--Ezekiel 36:26

I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.--Jeremiah 24:7

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.--Psalm 51:10

2011 By Enyonam Gbekle. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment